The founders of the kindergarten were inspired by the story of “Jonah and the whale” as an example of education for children: obedience, faith and forgiveness.
But also openness to other people and cultures. The story is also a tribute to nature, as it promotes an attitude of humility, wonderment and respect.
From the people, the climate to the whale; all elements are present for an integral ecologic understanding of the planet.
The project offers free access to nursery school for the youngest children of a deprived local community in Canning, at 60 km from Kolkata (West-Bengal, India).
It provides responsible education to 50 children.
Teaching is differentiated according to two groups:
A "Panda class" with children from 3 and 4 years old
A "Kangaroo class" with children from 5 and 6 years old
The infrastructure also serves as local community house for activities during afternoon, week-ends or Indian holidays.
ECOLOGIC, ORGANIC AND FAIR TRADE STANDARDS
Teachers and support staff commit to the Ecologic – Organic – Fair Trade principles, meaning:
- Limitation of the ecological footprint.
- Local suppliers for services and goods are preferred above others.
- Natural materials and manufactured goods are preferred above industrialized ones.
- Strong commitment to avoid the use of plastic, toxic or polluting school material.
- Fruit, organic and healthy homemade snacks and drinks instead of industrial sweets.
- Services or goods resulting from fair trade with decent remuneration, excluding children or oppressed groups.
The educational program promotes ecological and humanistic values in a pluralistic context, whereby kids are called as future preservers of the earth and its habitants.
It is set up in English and aims to stimulate language skills, according to the learning by playing method.
The program is based on theoretical and practical development of the following skills:
- “the future Linguist in me”
- “the future Mathematician in me”
- “the future Scientist in me”
- “the future Artist in me”
- “the future Group Therapist in me”
- “the future Ecologist in me”
- “the future Responsible Citizen in me”
Teachers keep a detailed monitoring dashboard and daily report about the activities the activities performed.
The kindergarten program runs every morning from 8 a.m. until 12.